FULL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES IN DOWNTOWN CHATHAM AND AT RM HEADQUARTERS
BLENHEIM, Ontario (14 June 2019) – RM Sotheby’s & RM Auto Restoration, in partnership with RetroFest, are making final preparations for a range of exciting events on 21-22 June in Chatham-Kent, Ontario, the Classic Car Capital of Canada, in celebration of RM’s 40th Anniversary. Attendees can expect two days filled with enhanced RetroFest programming alongside anniversary events put on by RM Sotheby’s in Downtown Chatham, Tecumseh Park, and on the RM Grounds at One Classic Car Drive in Blenheim.
RM Sotheby’s is also thrilled to release its special-edition magazine celebrating the 40th Anniversary. In this issue, RM Sotheby’s reflects on four decades of restoring and auctioning the world’s finest automobiles, looks at where the company is in 2019, and ahead at what the future may hold for RM and the collector car hobby. The digital magazine can be viewed at rmsothebys.com. Complimentary print copies will be available at various event locations throughout the 40th Anniversary weekend.
Friday – Downtown Chatham & Tecumseh Park
3:00 pm – Shuttle service begins at the former Target parking lot, dropping off at Fifth St at Thames and picking up at Fifth St east side, south of King St
5:00 pm – A special RM 40th Anniversary Kick-Off Parade beginning at the Civic Centre
6:00 pm – The annual RetroFest Car Cruise starting at the John D. Bradley Convention Centre
6:00 pm – Gates open for entertainment by Sam Roberts Band with Walkin’ 47 at Tecumseh Park (show begins at 7:30 pm – Get tickets)
Saturday – Downtown Chatham & Tecumseh Park
8:00 am – 7:00 pm – Shuttle service available on a continuous loop from the former Target parking lot to Wellington and Fifth St, Park Avenue Business Centre, and the RM Classic Cars Headquarters
10:00 am – 6:00 pm – Family activities all day at Tecumseh Park including zip line, bouncy castle, soap box derby, petting zoo, Junior Judges, the LEGO brick experience with LEGO artist Graeme Dymond, Ms. Retrofest contest and Hagerty Test Garage
12:00 pm – Southwind Buoys performance at Nest Realty
2:00 pm – Free Dirt County hoedown at the Tecumseh Park bandshell
3:00 pm – Kent Historic Auto Club/RetroFest Car Show winners announced
4:00 pm – Free Chaser Band performance at the Tecumseh Park bandshell
7:00 pm – Doors open for the Big Sugar concert with Superfly at the Capitol Theatre (show begins at 8:00 pm – Get tickets)
Saturday – RM Sotheby’s Headquarters
9:00 am – 4:00 pm – Activities will run throughout the day on RM grounds including:
- The RM40 Concours d’Elegance – an exclusive look at some of the rarest and most beautiful cars in the world. Highlights include the multi-award winning 1933 Delage D8S Roadster by De Villars, one of just 99 models built, and representing the height of the Art Deco-influenced French design in the 1930s; and the wild, yet stunningly graceful 1937 Cadillac Series 90 Hartmann Cabriolet, measuring an imposing 22 feet in length, and most recently shown at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Visit the Concours for a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see some of the most significant cars in the world (Get Tickets);
- Classic car cruise-in – enthusiasts and collectors are encouraged to drive their classic cars and will receive priority parking;
Art at RM featuring more than 60 artists and crafters, with some artists offering Make & Take projects throughout the day;
RM Auto Restoration Open House – the shop will be open to the public for a glimpse at what each department does and some of the exciting cars they’re currently working on;
- A graffiti artist competition with artists from across Southwestern Ontario participating in a live competition. Visitors to the RM grounds will have the opportunity to participate in an exciting community art project;
- Live music by local talent, Toast & Jam inside the concours;
- Duke’s Harley Davidson Vintage & Custom Motorcycle Show;
- Hagerty Ride & Drive – attendees will have the chance to get behind the wheel of an iconic classic car and take their dream cruise. All test drives available on a first-come, first-serve basis; and
- Plenty of kids and family activities, as well as food vendors, including Bay Side Brewery and Roesh Meats.
All proceeds from the weekend’s events will go directly back into the community that has fostered the growth of RM over the last 40 years, supporting several important local organizations, including the Children’s Treatment Centre Foundation of Chatham-Kent, Chatham-Kent Hospice Foundation , and Chatham-Kent Health Alliance Foundation.
Other community events taking place over the 40th Anniversary weekend include the Thamesville Threshing Festival at Ferguson Park, kicking off at 6:30 pm on Friday, 21 June with the annual Threshing Festival Parade followed by live music in the refreshment gardens inside the park. The fun continues Saturday with activities for the entire family all day, live entertainment hitting the stage Saturday evening and a fireworks display at 10:00 pm. The Pain Court Truck and Tractor Pull also returns for its 23rd year with its biggest offering yet at 7:00 pm on Friday, 21 June at the park under the Pain Court water tower. Finishing off the weekend on Sunday, 23 June is the Boulevard of Dreams Erieau Car Show from 12:00 pm – 4:00pm.
About RM Sotheby’s 4th Anniversary Celebration
RM Sotheby’s is hosting a 40th Anniversary celebration weekend in Chatham-Kent, 21-22 June. Partnering with RetroFest Classic Car Festival, RM is creating the ultimate celebration for car enthusiasts and the community. Proceeds from the weekend will support the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance Foundation, Chatham-Kent Hospice Foundation and the Children’s Treatment Centre Foundation of Chatham-Kent.
All images Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s
- RM’s 25th anniversary celebration at One Classic Car Drive in Blenheim, Ontario
- RM Sotheby’s special-edition 40th anniversary magazine cover
- A huge turnout at Tecumseh Park during RM’s 25th anniversary weekend
- Classic cars lining the streets of Downtown Chatham during Retrofest
- The annual Thamesville Threshing Festival Parade
- The Pain Court Tractor Pull
- A lineup of cars at the Boulevard of Dreams Erieau Car Show